Are you feeling the heat, both literally and figuratively? We know it’s the hottest summer on record. But there are definitely ways to take advantage of this hot summer weather and do the sustainable things you’ve been meaning to do anyway… And save yourself a chunk of change while doing it!
Here are some eco-friendly money saving for the rest of August!
- Eat less meat. If you’re like anyone else I know, this could be tough. You don’t have to give it up entirely. You can participate in Meatless Monday, or become a Weekday Vegetarian. If you’re not feeling that, just eat less beef and pork or eliminate them from your diet entirely. Plus, fruits and veggies make it extra easy to avoid grilling or baking or really anything heat related… Who wants to do that when it’s 100+ degrees outside?
- Explore commuting options. Cars and gas obviously cost the big bucks. Why not try walking or biking to work? Public transportation is a good option too! Plus you get a few extra minutes to yourself where you don’t have to concentrate on driving. If you want some social time on your commutes, carpooling might be for you! Want an even more tempting option? Eliminate the commute entirely and work from home. No money spent on gas, and you can control your own environment! Sounds good, doesn’t it?
- turn off those lights!) and will give you something to do with everyone that’s free AND fun! If you love being outside already, why not eliminate that gym membership and unplug your exercise routine. That’s money in your pocket too!
- Take advantage of the sunny weather. It’s going to be hot out. That usually means the sun is out too. Instead of hating the heat rays, take advantage of them! Line dry your clothes after laundry, and you’ll save a few bucks on electricity. Your clothes will smell awesome and you won’t have to worry about the efficiency of your dryer. The sun will even bleach your whites for you! And If you’re looking to invest a little bit of time and money, try looking into installing solar. The return will be worth the investment!
- Finally, look to save water. I know, I know, we blogged about this a few weeks ago. But it is a drought and water is very important! Saving water always means saving money too. Check out our Wacky Weather playlist for some Practically Green ideas.
If you have any more green money saving tips, let us know in the comments section. Those secret weapons should be shared with everyone anyway!